Tips for teachers on using digital technology
Technology has overpowered every aspect of our lives. It’s hard to imagine what our lives were like before this age. Same is the case with our Education system.
The foundation of our education system has shifted gradually and now technology is incorporated in all its elements. What are these digital technologies? These are electronic tools like mobile phones. Laptops and tablets that are used for data processing and generation. It is mostly application and internet based.
In recent years, many educationists used to think that these modern day technologies are nuisance when it comes to leaning. They are more of a distraction to the students than a tool of learning. But these negative aspects were converted into positive outcomes when educationists instead of demoting the use of technology, started promoting it in their classrooms.
Starting from school/college administration to a classroom, we make use of tech tools even without realising it. With modern age, it is important to learn how to use latest tools and machines our lives to make it easier and the basic learning starts from our classrooms. Our teachers can’t afford to be novice when it comes to use of machinery while educating children.
Digital learning includes elements like accessing digital data, participation in online forums, online game based learning, social media participation, creating virtual data.
There are some accessible and easy ways for teachers of modern institutes to promote digital learning in their classroom like:
- Introduction to tech tools: elementary or middle school students should be given proper introduction to electronic devices. They have to use those devices sooner or later in their life so it’s a good practise for them to know the proper ways and boundaries of these tools.
- Give them space to own their ideas: Hovering over a child while teaching them can give them the wrong impression. It shows a lack of confidence and trust on your part. For the child to be open about their creativity and ideas it important to give them ownership of the technology within set limits.
- Staff up to date with technology: all the staff of the institute should be on the same page when it comes to the use of technology. If one teacher is demoting the use of technology and others are promoting it, it can confuse the child a lot. Thus all staff members should be better acquainted with the ins and outs of digital learning.
- Updating curriculum: Technology never stops. Everyday a new innovation comes to light and people are fascinated by it. During digital learning you cannot teach one fixed curriculum to the students. The curriculum has to be updated regularly to keep the children up to date and make the study more interesting.
- Promoting communication methods: Children will only learn about the correct use of electronic tools and services when they practically work on them. Teachers should promote communication through emails and internet messaging. This includes proper online communities on which they can share their work with the teacher and get evaluated too.
- Accessibility: it’s a fact that not every child comes from a same background and do not have access to similar things. It is important for education institutes to allot access points for all the students where they can use digital devices to learn. Most schools have IT labs reserved for students where they are taught about all kinds of software and even course work.
Digital learning is not just for sake of incorporating technology into our education systems. This kind of learning has many positive effects on both the teachers and the students. Although digital learning requires a lot of support from teachers as well as parents, at the end of the day it has several benefits too.
- Our current generation is a digital-born generation. They respond to technological tools much faster than the previous generations.
- It can promote their interest into the field of Information Technology which can lead to new discoveries and innovations this world can benefit from.
- With digital learning, they understand the boundaries of technology from a young age and do not misuse it.
- It can boost confidence and peer to peer learning especially for those students who have a hard time interacting face to face, it helps them come out of their cocoon and not become invisible.
- Instant feedback and support provided by online forums can help speed up the learning process. Now learning is not only confined to the walls of the classroom.
Author Bio: Jordan Belfort is a creative and high quality writer. He is brilliant in his work. He has been writing assignments for students who frequently ask the essay writing services: Do my assignment to get help.