Roof Replacement Service – Do’s and Don’ts
When you think about home remodeling, roof replacement tops the chart. The roof is an unavoidable section of your house. After all, it saves your house from sinking into rainwater. To make sure that your money gets locked in a durable roof rather than a fragile one, you must know below points. Before investing in roof replacement services, opt for these standpoints:
A Look at the Types of Materials:
You will choose a material as per the need of the house and the locality. For example, for the lower pitched roof, you can choose to get wood shake shingles.
- Asphalt Shingles: They are quite convenient to get. However, they may appear bit boring.
- Metal Roofing: This looks attractive but needs skills in installation. You can ask your roof replacement service provider to get them installed.
- Slate Roofing: They give a really adorable look to your house. However, they can be very slippery.
- Rubber Roofing: This is an industrial material used both in residential and commercial roofing.
Can Old Shingles Add Extra Weight?
You can consult the roof replacement company to whether keep the shingles or remove them. If you are putting asphalt on asphalt shingles, then it can become too heavy to sustain. Also, if your house is old, then this can bring a big time constructional issue. If you compare the materials, a three times fold of asphalt shingles is equivalent to the single deposit of slate shingles. This is the way, you must know, whether to remove the previous or not.
One other issue with a repeated layer is that,
- You may repeat the already existing surface downfalls.
- There can be waves and bumps on the older roof which should be removed.
- You are not getting rid of your old roof.
- It is not much work if started very soon.
Yes, stripping away the older layer is an added task. But, your roof replacement service provider can do within no time.
How and Where Can You Save?
The cost differs from different roofing material contractors and the material itself. There is a range of factors included while giving you a price slab. Keep the alignment of house size and material cost in mind to reach to a negotiation. Many roofers are happy to do that, so do not shy away from asking the favors.
Choose the Season
A well-organized roofing team can do wonders even with asphalt shingles. However, when you go for metal roofing, you have to get a professional on board. Roofers do not have much business to do with perfectly aligned roofs. Here, you can take leverage of off seasons and dry periods to have a good team available for you.
Get Accustomed to the Root Process of Roofing
You will often hear the term ‘square’. Do not go on checking the lengths of Google searches as this means a standard of 100 square feet. Since service providers move along with a plethora of material needs, they use this shorter term for the convenience. A professional roof installment takes 4-5 days of the period.
The process can be briefed as:
- Removal of old shingles, bumps, and bubbles. Getting a cleaner pathway to work upon.
- Filling the roof with repairs wherever needed.
- To protect your house top from becoming an ice gutter, a synthetic material called ice dam protection is layered.
- Spreading of asphalt paper.
- Finally, shingles are fixed which starts in an upward direction.
- The entire area is applied with flashing to make sure there are no leakages from a chimney or other vents.
- Ridge vent is installed in the end.
The work may take just 4-5 days but leaves behind a humongous liability and bill. To keep everything in check, you must know about all the paperwork involved. Majorly three documents are needed:
- A building permit. This is important to maintain the roof warranty.
- A contract paper which puts all the conditions, details and costs along.
- Insurance papers.