Amazing Facts About the National Flower of Singapore, Vanda Miss Joaquim
Every other country in the world has its own unique national flower, animal and emblem that describes its rich cultural heritage and tradition. Singapore, a Southeast Asian country known for its amazing skyscrapers, rich cultural diversity and the well-connected public transport system has Vanda Miss Joaquim, an orchid hybrid as the national flower of the country. Although, orchids can be seen almost everywhere from gardens to homes, bouquets to orchid themed gifts, souvenirs and any other flower shop in Singapore. However, this is a special variety of orchid which is chosen to represent the rich cultural heritage of Singapore. In order to have better understanding and information about this flower, you need to take a quick glance at the history of this wonderful flower.
History- Vanda Miss Joaquim also known by the name of Singapore orchid and the Princess Aloha orchid is a hybrid orchid variety which was selected as the national flower of Singapore on 15th April, 1981. The extraordinary hybrid variety is a part of genus Papilionanthe. The beautiful flower is named in honour of a Singaporean woman of Armenian descent by the name of Agnes Joaquim. It is the first cultivated orchid hybrid variety of world that was bred by Agnes Joaquim for a flower show in the year 1899. The flower won the first prize in the show and was later on selected as the national flower of Singapore. The variety is also one of the favourite choices to send flowers in Singapore for different occasions or events. Here are some of the amazing facts about this hybrid orchid variety which are listed below:
- Vanda Miss Joaquim which is a hybrid orchid variety comprises of violet-rose petals which eventually grows into a fiery orange colour and gets merged up at the tip of the stem.
- Although, being the national flower of Singapore for 35 long years, the actual percentage and origin of this flower are still not clear. The mystery regarding the origin of this flower was finally resolved in the year 2009 when it was revealed that orchid species called Vanda hookeriana is the father and Vanda teres is the ultimate mother of this orchid variety.
- It is a free flowering plant where each inflorescence can bear up to 12 buds and usually 4 flowers grow at a time. The dimension of the each flower is 5 cm in width and 6 cm in height. Its lovely petals are twisted in such a way that the back surface faces the front like its parents.
- Vanda Miss Joaquim is said to be cultivated in the garden of Ashken Hovakimian by Agnes Joaquim who was an Armenian-Singaporean horticulturist and was recognised as the inspiration behind the name of this flower. It can be easily found in any flower shop in Singapore due to its huge popularity.
- It was selected as the national flower of Singapore in April, 1981 due to its vibrant colours, hardiness and resilience which represents the unique spirit of Singapore. Furthermore, its yearlong blooming quality contributed to its selection among the list of 40 flowers, out of which 30 were orchids.
- The hybrid flower variety is the only one in the world which is selected as the national flower of a country due to its characteristics of uniqueness and hybrid culture.
So, buy this unique orchid variety and send it to your loved ones through any reliable Singapore flower delivery online services for any special occasion or event.