A Discourse on the Pros and Cons of Digital Thermometer
Just like a standard thermometer, a digital thermometer also measures the temperature. The only difference is that they are not restricted to mercury as a primary mode of temperature sensing.
Almost every household, today, keeps a digital thermometer just like previously, clinical thermometer used to be present at every house. You will find different types of digital thermometers depending on how they work.
This tool works with the help of a digital thermistor, a thermocouple as well as the Resistance Temperature Detector (RTD). This goes without saying that the growing popularity of the digital thermometers is because of the great number of perks that they offer.
But like every good thing, this one comes with its own share of drawbacks, too. So here an attempt is being made to discuss the perks and the drawbacks of the digital thermometer. Just read on to know.
Primary Advantages of Digital Thermometer
Here are some of the major perks of digital thermometer.
- Fast Thermometer – This one is capable of giving you readings within just a few seconds. This instrument does not require any shaking or recalibrations and it offers the precise temperature in the blink of an eye.
- Accurate Temperature – Digital thermometer is capable of offering the most accurate temperature. There are many thermometers that just take the surface temperatures. Moreover, there are also some thermometers that just take the surface temperature which is not the actual one. The digital thermometer can be used to take temperature from the ears, armpits as well as mouth and rectum. It is known to give the most accurate temperature.
- Handy Thermometer – The digital thermometers are very handy and very sleek. You just have to press the button lightly and you will get the temperature readings. In order to make it work efficiently the mercury thermometer has to be shaken to get the reading that is not needed in the digital counterparts. It is also not possible to break this as easily as the glass thermometer.
- Easy Reading –One of the greatest perks of digital thermometer is that it gives readings that anyone can read very easily. You will get the temperatures in both Fahrenheit as well as Celsius.
Major Disadvantages of Digital Thermometer
The digital thermometer has its own share of disadvantages. They can be enlisted as follows.
- Cleaning –This is one of the worst things about digital thermometers. While it is quite easy to submerge a regular thermometer in soapy and warm water, it becomes a challenge to do this with a digital thermometer. If you make this thermometer too wet then the mechanical system can get disrupted. But it is important to disinfect the thermometer after every use. You should just clean the tip of the thermometer with soapy and cool water. Many also come with disposable tips.
- Issues of Battery – Another drawback of digital thermometers are the dead batteries. It is very difficult to assess when the battery will die. Moreover, these are specialised batteries that are very hard to find. About-to-die batteries display inaccurate results. So change the batteries annually to avoid such problems.
- Digital Accuracy – Not all the digital thermometers are accurate. You may get an inaccurate device if you purchase one from an unreliable store. That is why you are advised to avail a licensed and reliable medical equipment supplier where you will get the equipment at the digital thermometer price. Moreover, many ear digital thermometers are said to offer inaccurate results, as, at times they do not register fevers at all.
The above discourse will help to get a fair idea about the pros and cons of the digital thermometer so that you can take an informed decision.